5/19 Columbia MD

FORUM Forums Lucinda Williams Lucinda Shows 5/19 Columbia MD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    tonyg
    Keymaster

Will we have an imbedded Lu-Natic on site to post a report and setlist? If yes, have a great time! 😀

stoger
    Participant

10-4/en route

tonyg
    Keymaster

Safe travels Capt. Stoger! Yes I gave you a promotion.

West Words
    Participant

No testing the waters tonight. Lu took the stage with both guns blazing.

After sets by Justin Jones and the Drive-By Truckers, Lu swaggered onto stage dressed all in black with an uber-hip semi-asymmetric platinum do with long bangs covering her right eye.

1. Out Of Touch – “We’re here to rock and roll. It’s been a long time since we’ve had this formation of the band.”
    2. Real Live Bleeding Fingers
    3. Essence – “Stand up and shake your booty in honor of summer”. Lu encouraged everyone to get up out of their seats and come down and dance in front of the stage. Many happily obliged.
    4. Come On
    5. Changed The Locks
    6. Born To Be Loved
    7. Ain’t My Cross To Bear
    8. Righteously
    9. Atonement
    10. Joy
    11. Honey Bee – “Love, Peace, & Revolution. Power to the People”

Encore:
    12. Get Right With God (with the Drive-By Truckers joining her on stage)

Lu was a bad-ass rock goddess, and Doug was Doug. Sparks were flying off Butch’s drums, and David was spot on. It was a condensed show, but perfection. I hope this band family stays together for a long, long time. 🙂

tonyg
    Keymaster

Awesome report West Words! 😀

GrumpyMama
    Participant

Wow, sounds like the set was smokin’. wish I coulda been there.

Lefty
    Participant

Thanks for posting, WW.
    Y’know, tony, I’ve always pictured perfesser stoger as a commodore…
    🙂

tonyg
    Keymaster

He may well be someday Lefty, if he keeps working hard.

tonyg
    Keymaster

The Washington Post has a good review of the show:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/despite-low-turnout-lucinda-williams-drive-by-truckers-rock-merriweather/2012/05/20/gIQAr9z3dU_story.html

stoger
    Participant

Well, there was nothing subtle about this setlist, was there? If a “commodore” might be allowed to make a few small corrections to west words’ report, despite Lu saying early in the set “we’re glad to share the stage with the Drive By Truckers,” that was not them out there again for “Get Right with God.” I suspect they had long fled the premises. The only two she named and thanked after the song were Justin Jones and Dave Phenicie (sp?), formerly of Stonehoney and also accompaniest to the likes of Anne McCue and Angela Easterling. People of all age groups and genders were moving about the stage, though. Lu’s quasi-Southern rock set fit a co-bill with the Truckers (each was listed as precisely 70 minutes, and Lu finished right at the 11 p.m. curfew); it was especially nice to get “Atonement,” and Lu has never done the Allman cover with quite as much spirit as Saturday night, to my hearing.

And I’m afraid it was the late DONNA Summer, not the season, that Lu commemorated a couple of songs in. Still, the celebratory spirit existed.

tonyg
    Keymaster

Great report Stoger. Way to represent.

West Words
    Participant

Ha! Stog, we should have compared notes before I went to press. DBT’s loudness must have impaired my already questionable hearing. GREAT show regardless. thx! 😀

Onward to meet up with Mr. Stog to see Mr. Prophet, who personally invited Mr. Stog, to tonight’s show. Life is good. 🙂

fuji81
    Participant

Sweet videos on youtube…….please,please,please say Doug will be around for awhile…it’s great to see him back in the fold.

tonyg
    Keymaster

Excellent videos yup. Too bad the sound is a tad distorted.

fuji81
    Participant

Yeah, sound is less than stellar….but I couldn’t resist sharing my enthusiasm. I appreciated what Blake brought to the table, but Doug brings the “fire” that I’ve been missing in Lu’s “rock/blues” songs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.