3 Tickets to 3/7 show in Montclair NJ

FORUM Forums Lucinda Williams Lucinda Shows 3 Tickets to 3/7 show in Montclair NJ

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    solly
    Participant

Is anybody interested in going. I live in Bergen county and have tickets. Because it is standing room only i can’t attend. Didn’t realize this when we got the tickets. Does anybody want to go?

I would love to get back the face value but as the clock ticks i hate the thought of nobody going.

Please let me know if you are interested. you can email me directly on msabel@hotmail.com

Hot_Blooded
    Participant

I don’t believe it is standing room but rather general admission; it is still very much a theater with seats. You should go.

Hot_Blooded
    Participant

I apologize; I looked up the venue’s Web site just to clarify; it is the same price for both standing on the floor and balcony seats, both of which are general admission. My mom and I are going tomorrow, and since she will not (and really cannot) stand for a show we bought tickets for the general admission balcony. So the seats are there on a first-come, first-serve basis. As long as we get to see Lu tomorrow we really don’t care.

Just to clarify. If the balcony is not sold out by the time you read this (as of now it isn’t) you can buy tickets for that section instead, or perhaps call the venue and ask if you can exchange/upgrade to balcony.

Good luck and hope to see you there. If you see a mid-50’s something brunette woman with a young man in his early 20s who looks more high school age than college age that is probably my mother and I, so come and say hello. I would love to see some “Sweet Old World” songs, but I’m not counting on it; it’s Lucinda though, why worry? πŸ™‚

Hot_Blooded
    Participant

Venue’s FAQ on the matter…

Ticketing at The Wellmont Theatre may be separated into 2 different types of β€œseating” depending on the show – General Admission or Reserved.

General Admission – there are 2 types of general admission tickets to purchase
    a) GA FLOOR – Standing only / No Seats (GA Floor tickets will not be granted access to the balcony)
    b) GA BALCONY – Seated without assigned seats – seat locations are on a first come first serve basis (GA Balcony tickets will not be granted access to the floor)

Reserved – Entire show is seated. Seats are set up on the main floor which is separated into an orchestra section and three ascending tier sections. Seats in the balcony are all reserved for a specific ticket.

Please check the venue website www.wellmonttheatre.com to find out if a show is general admission or reserved.

solly
    Participant

Thank you for your effort. We called the theater yesterday and they wouldn’t exchange. I am bummed but as this would have been my 10th time seeing her I will survive the mix up. By what you are saying about how the tickets have not sold i think NJ may be expressing their thoughts on standing room only venues. Even at a 9th grade dance there was always a place for me to sit down.

If i went and was on the floor I would have been the 50 something woman whining on the floor and at some point giving in and just sitting on the floor.

I love Lucinda (hence the 9 other shows I have attended) but i really don’t see her as a standing room performer. I like to sit back and listen to the music. yeah she gets up and rocks but then those balads are sit back and focus on the voice the music and how she is reaching into your soul.

solly
    Participant

Just remember no reasonable offer refused.. As the day continues reasonable drops. End of day pick them up and take em with you. I hate the thought of Lucinda playing to a 1/2 empty theater. I have seen her fill radio city music hall! The woman is amazing, just the thought of standing is keeping everybody away! Welmont I think you should rethink the situation.

If you are interested send a phone number. i am off to the hair dressers but will be ready to meet anybobody and pass on tickets by 11:30.

Hot_Blooded
    Participant

^ I am sorry you missed the show, and I can (vicariously) relate…

While there are some elements about standing room that can be fun, I, at 21, do not enjoy it. I cannot remember one standing room show that I ever enjoyed as much as a sitting show. It is not the way to enjoy music. It is a way to be seen drinking and feel trendy seeing shows, and it is a form of self-aggrandizement for the performer; “these people are willing to stand for me.” I also hate it because if you have to use the restroom, get thirsty, need to move for any reason at all, you lose your spot. You have to revolve your whole day around it sometimes. I definitely understand where you’re coming from. That said, the place was pretty crowded.

My mom, about a year older than Lucinda, was uncomfortable – VERY – uncomfortable – at the show tonight, and she skipped the encores, which were wonderful and numerous. The seats were cramped and uncomfortable, even for me, and I am a thin 21 year-old 5’7″ guy, and the place was very hot. VERY hot. Lucinda remarked that she thought the sound of the place was terrific – she was wrong; from our seats, it was pretty mediocre; the band overpowered her voice from our perspective – it wasn’t terrible or even complaint-worthy, but it was definitely neither ideal nor commendable. There were many brain-dead degenerates in the balcony who were clearly not fans; very few majors fans among the balcony. No one seemed put-off, but many people seemed as if they had no idea what show they were going to see. It’s frustrating to be among such people.

That said, Lucinda means a lot to both my mom and myself, and it was a great time seeing her aside from some of the bullshit attached to the night. It was my 4th time and her 2nd time, 3rd for me if you don’t count seeing her open for Mellencamp. A great show and a great set list, but so far my least favorite occassion seeing Lucinda outside of Mellencamp (dumb Mellencamp fans not respecting her and seeing Lucinda come out to a mostly empty ampitheatre when you’re on the lawn is not cause for celebration).

I’m sorry you missed the show though, and I certainly agree that Lucinda is NOT a standing room only artist. In fact, when she did the fall 2007 album-all-the-way-through-shows I made sure to buy a ticket to a Town Hall performance, not an Irving Plaza show, for the simple fact that I wanted to enjoy myself. Remember, this is a 21 year old talking here. So it’s not just you. In my experience either pretentious assholes or diehard fans with above average time and energy tend to favor them.

Lafayette
    Participant

Hotblooded, It’s always thrilling to see artists, such as Lu, with a long career, attract a younger crowd. Even more so with someone as young as you that understands and appreciates the words and music. I have a 21 year old and he would never consider seeing Lu, he just doesn’t get it.

I have to disagree with you on your standing room concern. Lu, and many other artists, seems to like a general audience crowd (Springsteen and U2 come to mind). It has been mentioned several times in this forum there are differences in Lu’s shows in a theater versus a standing crowd . Her performances (and the crowd) tend to be more lethargic (my opinion) in a theater. I personally heard her tell a fan, after a show in Columbus, OH (general admission) she was into the crowd. She pointed to him and said “I remember you, I was feeding off of you tonight!” Wouldn’t you prefer to go to a show format that Lucinda seems to prefer, where SHE is the one into the crowd ? Where the crowd rouses her? It should be a little give and take, don’t you think?

As far as the DUMB Mellencamp fans that didn’t get to her show to see her open, I just happen to be one of those DUMB Mellencamp fans. I’m not sure which show you went to on that tour, I’m guessing Holmdel with your location, but I can tell you with certainty at the Detroit and Cincinnati shows, the DUMB Mellencamp fans were represented, many of them paying SEATED pavillion patrons. She was feeling the love, even though everyone stayed seated. At both of these shows, she even thanked everyone for coming to see her open and she felt as though her and John had much the same fan base. I think she may have even said this in Milwaukee. I went to 5 shows last summer. I really can’t remember the crowd size at Jones Beach in NYC, probably not near the crowd in Detroit and Cincy, but I do remember someone in the front and center received an autograph from her. It was hard for me to see as I was off to the side for that show, but Lucinda had one of her crew get this fan’s ticket, she autographed it side stage, and then her crew returned it to the fan. So much for the DUMB Mellencamp fans, I suppose. I”m almost certain this fan was in the front row. If he didn’t sneak down, he more than likely paid $250 for that seat, as JM, much to my dismay, went to the GOLD level pricing.

I applaud your youth and devotion to Lucinda but have to disagree with your take on the GA shows. I think a perfect compromise is a venue that has the GA floor with tables and chairs in the upper perimeter and balconies.

Ray
    Participant

Lafayette: Very thoughtful, considered, controlled response; nicely done. I have to agree: at a LW show (and at a JCM concert, I am sure), nothing compares to standing, floor, GA for both the audience and artist. Magic can happen in this space.

It’s an experience that isn’t quite the same in a seat. And it’s a way for fans to give back, immediately, to the artist.

Sure, not everyone can (or wants to) stand for long periods, so seating is important too. But the Wellmont offered the best of both worlds last night. I thought it was a perfect venue for Lucinda. (Maybe the only thing better would be a similar space outside on a warm summer night.)

BTW, you’ve been a great ambassador for JCM at this forum, and I will say, freely, happily, and publicy: i like the SMART mellencamp fans, and you are clearly one of those. Thanks for your thoughtful contributions! 8)

Hot_Blooded
    Participant

This is just a lesson to me to be more politically correct, although I am not going to do it. You should not assume generalizations on someone’s part. Why should I have to outrighly declare that some Mellencamp fans are not DUMB? I was talking about the show that I attended. I am very offended and off-put. You’d think I was an ignorant, pretentious menace. If you go back and reread what I said and you’ll realize how local it was; it was about my night and my experience seeing the joint tour. I said about three words, on an aside, in paranthesis. I’m beside myself here. It’s getting to the point you can’t say anything in this country anymore without getting a tongue lashing.

Why on Earth would you decide that I consider ALL Mellencamp fans to be stupid? I even specified – I said it was dumb Mellencamp fans who were not being respectful of Lucinda (and by extension her listeners); I myself think all opening acts, no matter how well-known or unknown, deserve to be paid attention to until they prove themselves awful, and even then you should not be disrespectful, especially if you are close to the performer and they can see you – after all, some people (such as Lucinda’s fans) come to see a whole show, not listen to people talking.

It just so happened that there were a lot of DUMB ones – yes, dumb – in my immediate surroundings. I don’t like to use euphemisms in my language. I consider myself a fan as well, albeit casual. I gave his last CD 5 stars on Amazon.com, and if you check it out my review is the one on top; he is not as great as Lucinda in my book, but he is a wonderful artist. My main criteria for someone DUMB at a show is someone who would tune Lucinda out just because she is a woman, because she is older or because she has never had a pop hit. No one was paying attention to her. They were talking and drinking, invariably within my range of vision, and that included my father and his girlfriend, who knew I came to see Lucinda as well as John but kept talking, loudly. You cannot force people to be polite and considerate, but you should at least be able to give the behavior an apt label – dumb. I did happen to find two Lucinda fans at the show who eavesdropped on me reporting the set list to my mom on the phone.

As for the standing room only crowds, maybe she enjoys them more. If she does, that’s great. I just don’t, simply because of the energy and time they sap. I saw her at Town Hall and although it is a seated venue she had a wonderful time – during the uptempos people stood and clapped along and swayed, and during the ballads they sat and listened. It was perfect.

Hot_Blooded
    Participant

I regret getting a little carried away before, so I’m sorry for that – I’m not as effusive as my user name might suggest. I just don’t like being painted as something of an ignorant scumbag, even in the smallest of ways; I am not, and that my comments could be interpreted as such says more about the bias and passion of the interpreter and the interpreter’s past experiences rather than my own experience of one concert’s audience.

Lafayette
    Participant

Hotblooded, I misunderstood your point about the dumb Mellencamp fans, thinking you were lumping all JM fans together. I, as yourself, though, was put off by what I thought your comment intended. I felt I needed to respond because I am a JM fan and I saw the size of the crowd, in their seats and on the lawn at the shows I attended. I didn’t realize you were speaking about the actions of those around you. Yep, I’ve had the inconsiderate chatting happen many times at various shows, including JM shows. He was doing an acoustic set of 4 or 5 songs, this was in the fall a year ago during an arena tour. One time he became so fed up with the talk, he told a few fans to shut the **** up. The only time on this tour where no talking was going on during the acoustic set, (again at the shows I attended), was a venue that had a no alcohol policy. I’m not sure if that was the reason, but it sure seemed as such.

One thing I do want to make clear, though. I’m not here to defend John or my taste in music. I’m here to participate as a Lu fan. I know there were many here not happy about John and Lucinda being paired on a tour, it was quite evident when I first came to these boards. I respect and understand that. If you don’t like JM, you don’t like JM, it’s not the reason I read these boards and go to shows. I made a connection to Lu, through John, but more importantly, through her words and music. Hey, but it is a bonus if you were digging the last JM record. TBone Burnett is a genius.

Peace.

Hot_Blooded
    Participant

^ Thank you for reading and hearing me out. I realized you had misinterpreted me likely because of your past experiences, and I was aware that there were rumblings on this board during that tour, although I must have not been visiting here much at the time because I do not remember them; I have only seem them alluded to a couple of times.

I for one, aside from the aforementioned, very much enjoyed the show, and I am glad that John made some Lucinda fans out of his own; the moment I saw the pairing of them on a tour poster I realized that a lot of people would probably not bother showing up early for Lucinda or just not appreciate her, but I also realized that she was bound to make some fans during the tour as well, so I figured it was a smart, professional move on her part to make some income and preach to some outside the choir – I had no idea “Little Honey” was coming out until she announced it during the end of the set and did “Real Love” for the first time I heard it, so that made still more sense of her decision to spend the bulk of the summer opening for him.

Still, I will never forget being on the lawn, seeing Lucinda come out, no one seeming to notice her emerge at all, pin-drop sound level, just a guitar in her hand, playing my favorite song possibly ever written (“Passionate Kisses”) and having to tell my dad and his girlfriend that she had walked out and had begun playing, and by the end of the song they had begun making small talk – some people can only pay attention when others are paying attention, and truly, no one was – monkey see, monkey do. It happened to be the least enthusiasm I ever saw for an opening act taking a stage, and it happened for the person I consider to be my favorite songwriter ever; it was disheartening to see such a lukewarm reception for her. By the end of the set, though, some seemed to be a little enthused around my section, although I think a lot of the enthusiasm was for the fact that she was wrapping up and John’s entrance was imminent. Oh, and yes, I really love a lot of his new record, especially the single “My Sweet Love.” It’s wonderful, sincere, very of-this-time material.

jackstraw
    Participant

i thought the wellmont was perfect. want to sit, go upstairs (i did for a few to check out
    the sound and sight lines. place is VERY similar to the paramount in asbury) want to dance,
    you have the whole floor. personally,i see lucinda (or any other artist) tearing it up, there’s
    NOTHING worse than watching everyone planted in their seats. or worse, have someone start
    dancing and get shouted down. i’ve witnesses that on more than a few occasions. talk about
    energy sapping.

tntracy
    Participant

@jackstraw wrote:

personally,i see lucinda (or any other artist) tearing it up, there’s
    NOTHING worse than watching everyone planted in their seats. or worse, have someone start
    dancing and get shouted down. i’ve witnesses that on more than a few occasions. talk about
    energy sapping.

I agree 100%. Well said.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.