1980 Kerrville Folk Festival LP

FORUM Forums Lucinda Williams Lucinda Records 1980 Kerrville Folk Festival LP

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    LWjetta
    Participant

@tonyg wrote:

I’m sure LWJ already had this down cold. 😆

Gimme a break guys. Had to work today and shovel snow after our big storm.
    Anyway the curly haired guy on the album cover I believe is Champ Hood.(an Uncle Walt band member)
    Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWz5hru32jo

Furthermore here is a comprehensive listing of all the Kerrville Folk Festivals from 1970 to 2012.
    Scroll down to 1980 and the winner ironically was Lizabeth Williams from Georgetown, TX.

AND, scroll further down to 1974 to see our Lu.
    http://www.happenstance-music.com/KFF_History.asp

lwj

tonyg
    Keymaster

I knew you would have video. Thanks! They sound good.

Lafayette
    Participant

@tonyg wrote:

I knew you would have video. Thanks! They sound good.

Heh. 😆

stoger
    Participant

Man, all you guys are good. Champ Hood also died relatively young, of cancer I think. The lone survivor of Uncle Walt’s Band (we could compromise and call it The Uncle Waltz Band) is David Ball, who had some major label solo success and hits like “Thinking Problem” on the country charts. I will try to reactivate my forum thread under Singer-Songwriters where I talk about meeting him last year at the Jackson TN VFW Post (!) and quizzing him about Lucinda.

I believe it’s Champ Hood’s nephew who fronts a band called The Des Champs Band, which put several covers of Ball, Hyatt, and Hood songs on the one record of theirs I have. Warren Hood, who I believe is a cousin and thus maybe the son of Champ himself, plays out a lot in Austin and has had some success in that scene.

I have a 20-song re-release somewhere of Uncle Walt’s Band itself, and truly roughly one third of the songs were penned by each band member. And I should dig out a bootleg early 80’s radio show where Walter and Champ, but not David, back Lucinda.

Tom, I’d love to hear of other LU memories of these guys, if she’s so inclined to reflect.

tntracy
    Participant

Interesting stuff, y’all! Thanks for the research LWJ & tonyg, and for yet another glimpse into your vast warehouse of musical knowledge Perfesser! 😉

Tomj

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.