1980 Kerrville Folk Festival LP

FORUM Forums Lucinda Williams Lucinda Records 1980 Kerrville Folk Festival LP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    tntracy
    Participant

This “1980 Kerrville Folk Festival” LP just popped up on eBay. It features Lu performing “One Night Stand” (side 2, track 3), with Mickey White on guitar & Rex Bell on bass & singing harmony vocals. But what I found most interesting was that Lu is identified as only “Lucinda” (no last name) in both the track listing as well as the liner notes on the back of the album.

Question for TO – did Lu actually perform as only “Lucinda” in the late 70’s / early 80’s? Or, is this a case of the producers of the album just omitting her last name for some reason?

Tom

stoger
    Participant

And she flattened her chest, curled her hair, and shucked the contact lenses too–oops, I guess that’s Mickey or Rex.

tntracy
    Participant

@stoger wrote:

And she flattened her chest, curled her hair, and shucked the contact lenses too–oops, I guess that’s Mickey or Rex.

Or, one of the other 13 artists featured on the album… 😛

Tom

tntracy
    Participant

I liked the comments from the liner notes (third photo above):

Lucinda surprised everyone with this new classic C&W song as she has been best known as a blues performer on her earlier appearances and Folkways recordings. The first time I heard her sing this song in a club, a fight broke out and she never missed a note (in true C&W saloon tradition.

😆

I wonder if Lu misses those old honky-tonk days? 😉

Tom

TOverby
    Participant

Well even I learn something every day. To answer Tom’s question, yes she did perform as Lucinda around that time. When I asked her if she was just Lucinda then she said “yes, didn’t you know that”. Uhhh no I didn’t.

She’s not sure who that is on the cover -I said it looks like a young Warren Zevon -at which Lucinda scoffed and said “no he never played Kerrville”. She was also looking at the person sitting down behind him and was thinking it might be Willis Alan Ramsey (now very reclusive-and who apparently has been working on his 2nd record for 35 years–no kidding, but that’s another story) or maybe even Joe Ely, but I don’t think it’s Joe. I guess a little more research is needed.

tonyg
    Keymaster

From Kerrville-music.com:

1980, our ninth Kerrville Folk Festival, May 22-26, was our largest
    festival to date with the audience growing to 13,000 for the five days. We
    had daily opening sets by Austin’s Eagle Bone Whistle and “Singing Circus”
    for the kids. Our New Folk entry list had grown to 132 entries and our
    judges were Bob Gibson (who wrote “Abilene”), New York ragtime pianistcomposer
    Terry Waldo and Guy Clark. The competition was still at the Arts
    & Crafts Fair and while Peter Yarrow couldn’t make the show his impact
    was evident everywhere as everyone was greeted by a hug.

1980 had some remarkable writers as finalists including Sid Hausman
    of New Mexico, Lyle Lovett, James Durst, and Jamie DeFratis from
    Florida. Among the award winners were David Halley of Lubbock, Jan
    Marra from Minneapolis, San Antonio’s Dow Patterson, and Allen Ross
    from Carthage, MO. among others playing the Memorial Day Winners
    Concert at the Arts & Crafts Fair.
    A strong line up of main stage artists at Quiet Valley Ranch included
    former New Folk Tish Hinojosa, Tim Henderson, Lucinda Williams, Butch
    Hancock, and Jon Ims joining headliners like Spider John Koerner, Gary P
    Nunn, Townes Van Zandt, the Shake Russell-Dana Cooper Band, B. W.
    Stevenson, Guy Clark, Jimmy Driftwood, Bob Gibson, Joe Ely, Uncle
    Walt’s Band, Kenneth Threadgill, Carolyn Hester, Peter Rowen and 22
    others including the Masters Four southern gospel quartet and Tom Uhr’s
    Shady Grove Ramblers with their beautifully harmonized original songs,
    blue grass,and Sons of the Pioneers favorites.

tonyg
    Keymaster

Furthermore, here is a picture of Uncle Walts band. I think that is them (it is they)on the cover.

[attachment=0:1tm830n9]uwb.jpeg[/attachment:1tm830n9]

And 10 points to Lucinda. Willis Alan Ramsey was connected to that band and that may be him.

tntracy
    Participant

Cool – thanks for the info, TO & tonyg.

Tom

tntracy
    Participant

@tonyg wrote:

Furthermore, here is a picture of Uncle Walts band. I think that is them (it is they)on the cover.

Looks like it to me…

Tom

tonyg
    Keymaster

I’m sure LWJ already had this down cold. 😆

tntracy
    Participant

@tonyg wrote:

I’m sure LWJ already had this down cold. 😆

😆 😆 😆 😆

Tom

tntracy
    Participant

FYI, I just cropped the album cover down to just the photo itself, and used it to do a Google Image search. It did not find anything except some other listings for the album (two in Japanese!), with no identification of who is actually in the cover photo. But, again, I think tonyg has nailed it…

Tom

TOverby
    Participant

And for some more trivia, albeit a bit morbid, Walter Hyatt of Uncle Walt’s was killed in the infamous ValuJet flight in 1996, and I have heard Lucinda mention this as a contributing factor to her fear of flying problem that she now has overcome.

This is from wikipedia:
    Following a gig in Key West with the King Tears Band, Hyatt boarded ValuJet Flight 592 on May 11, 1996 to attend his daughter Haley’s graduation. However, the plane caught fire and crashed into the Everglades, killing all 110 passengers and crew on board.[1]

tntracy
    Participant

LOL!! Here is one of the two Japanese site “hits” for the cover photo. I cut & pasted the Japanese text & used Google Translate to translate it to English. After some inexplicable talk of MLB’s World Series, here is the translation about the album:

In Folk Festival the first time since 1972, has been long so far, some enjoy playing professional stage, also hosts workshop participants to work together to make. Although initially the same festival participation of neighborhood folk Texas, was prominent country artists, artists of various types is gradually to participate. To this board in 1980, you can also listen to the throat of Spider John astringent corner I can see the face of Lucinda Williams just ran the road still birth, has been working since the 1960s.

Your purpose, my Uncle Walz Band. Out of three members, two bands that had died in the 1990s. I’m not a larger number of sound sources that are left. To a jazzy sound, put the harmony and kidnapping lightly relaxed at Four key. Live like that nice of them have been recorded. It’s a sound that’s jacket · P · Gary Nan smile brightly in his T-shirt, which resonate very well.

WTF? 😆

But, there is another reference to Uncle “Walz” [sic] Band… 😉

Tom

tntracy
    Participant

@TOverby wrote:

And for some more trivia, albeit a bit morbid, Walter Hyatt of Uncle Walt’s was killed in the infamous ValuJet flight in 1996, and I have heard Lucinda mention this as a contributing factor to her fear of flying problem that she now has overcome.

This is from wikipedia:
    Following a gig in Key West with the King Tears Band, Hyatt boarded ValuJet Flight 592 on May 11, 1996 to attend his daughter Haley’s graduation. However, the plane caught fire and crashed into the Everglades, killing all 110 passengers and crew on board.[1]

Oh wow – I remember that day well – not only because of the plane crash, but our next-door neighbor tragically died in a car crash that same day…

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.