10 Canadian CD’s that put us on the map

FORUM Forums Other Topics Singers and Songwriters 10 Canadian CD’s that put us on the map

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LWjetta
    Participant

Recently we have all been seeing the top 10, the top 50, the top 100 songs for 2009 or in the last decade.

Here are 3 Canadian bands that made the writers list for the last decade-all of which have been discussed on this forum.

Funeral, Arcade Fire (2004): Delivered with exuberance and passion, the chamber rock of the Montreal-based band’s debut album was a fresh sound that spread like wildfire through the blogosphere. An unexpected Grammy nomination drew attention to Canada’s indie scene.

Failer, Kathleen Edwards (2002): On her full-length debut, the Ottawa gal wrapped her raspy voice around twisted tales of love that were reminiscient of Tom Waits and Lucinda Williams. The critical praise was rapturous; Edwards was on her way.

Living with War, Neil Young (2006): Instead of shuffling off to pasture after Prairie Wind, Young got mad and wrote this blistering attack. A sharp-edged, urgent manifesto for the time, it crystallized the growing dissatisfaction with George W. Bush.

Here is the whole Top 10 list.

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/Canadian/2381900/story.html
    Recognize any of the other 7?
    lwj

tntracy
    Participant

@LWjetta wrote:

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/Canadian/2381900/story.html
    Recognize any of the other 7?
    lwj

Yup – I recognize Feist, K-OS & Broken Social Scene. And, of these, I am a big Feist fan. Under her photo at the top of the article, the caption reads “Leslie Feist showed her quirky musicality on breakthrough album Let It Die”; quirky, inded, but I love Let It Die and I love Feist’s voice. We’ve even seen her live once here in Atlanta.

Tom

LWjetta
    Participant

@tntracy wrote:

And, of these, I am a big Feist fan.

Yup. me too. I remember her on Letterman in 07 or 08-doing One-Two-Three-four with a back up of at least a dozen singers.
    Here is another one of my favorites from the Top 10 ( Serena Ryder )-Tnt-I Know you are partial to the female vocalists. Same here.

Quote”Is it OK? Serena Ryder (2008): The emotional impact of Ryder’s songwriting is amplified by her remarkable voice, which carries a force similar to Janis Joplin or Melissa Etheridge” End Quote.
    Here is a sample of her music.

She was interviewed on Fox 5 in Atlanta-You Tube type in Serena Ryder Good Day Atlanta (Part 1 ) on You Tube.
    At the end of the interview, she stated that she would be appearing that night at Eddie’s Attic-one of your favourite haunts.

Here is the link to (Part 2) on Fox for her song “Little Bit of Red”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDr-nnXRqb8

I think she has a great sound.
    lwj

P.S. She won a Canadian Juno award for best new artist for 2008-same as a Grammy in the good old U.S.of A

LWjetta
    Participant

@LWjetta wrote:

She was interviewed on Fox 5 in Atlanta-You Tube type in Serena Ryder Good Day Atlanta (Part 1 ) on You Tube.
    At the end of the interview, she stated that she would be appearing that night at Eddie’s Attic-one of your favourite haunts.

Another observation about this 2 &1/2 minute interview.
    Serena isn’t even from the deep South but to quote Lu’s “You Know”, Serena said the same thing 5 or 6 times in the short interview. Y’all gotta love it.
    lwj

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.